Castlemaine Botanical Gardens was gazetted on 21 February 1860. Its scale reflects Castlemaine’s prosperity during the gold rush and community desire to highlight the success of the town. The gardens are believed to be designed by the first curator, Phillip Doran who held this position for 47 years until his death in 1913.
The impressive cast iron gates were constructed in 1877-78 by local engineering firm Thompson & Co and local monumental mason George Redfearn. The decorative fountain nearby was also erected at that time. Lake Joanna was completed in 1879 and the tearooms were constructed in 1919.
Artworks in the gardens include “Acorns” and “Pinecones”, by Nicholas Dunand and "Dusk" by Zoe Amor.
For a full list of the garden's facilities, to check availability and to make an instant booking click the 'Hire the venue' button below.
Walker Street, Castlemaine VIC